A Sip of Sherrie

A taste of Me.. Poetry, stories and reflections of a Southern Belle. :)

Monday, February 13, 2006

The Chicken Rumor

I was at the post office Saturday...in line waiting to mail a package to one of my out-of-state friend's for her birthday.. I'm waiting in line, paitently when a voice behind me says "Sherrie, ran over any chickens lately?"

I turned around and there was Keith I., a guy I graduated with. Back story:

During my growing up years, I was very shy and quiet (yea I know...hard to believe now)... I drove us (my siblings and two cousins) to school in a white T-bird and we couldn't go to Lumberton H.S because we lived outside the city limits..so I had to drive 20 mins to Orrum. I had to drive by Keith's house.

He like to tease me, because I blushed easily. His house was right beside the highway and they had chickens roaming free. One afternoon I hit one...a huge rooster... I'm talking white feathers everywhere... it was like driving through a cloud of them. I was horrified. And didn't say anything about it to Keith.

About a week later, during English...we were having a test of sorts. The teacher had just given them out and was sitting down at her desk when Keith said, " Mrs. Floyd, I want to say something before we begin the test."

Mrs. Floyd gave a startled look and said, "Ummm ok. Make it brief."

He cleared his throat and said, "The next time you hit one of our chickens with your Thunderbird, you better take it home and eat it, Sherrie Parnell. That's all I have to say, Mrs. Floyd."

I wanted to hide under the desk, because my face turned 5 shades of red and everyone laughed so hard that Mrs. Floyd had to rap on the desk...even as she quelled her own laughter.

lol... I want to clear the record... I haven't ran over a chicken since then.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Sherrie said…

    ..or chick...from what I hear about you, no one is safe...woman or beast.

    Hey..I'm a chick.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home