A Sip of Sherrie

A taste of Me.. Poetry, stories and reflections of a Southern Belle. :)

Saturday, October 09, 2004

The Weight of October

 
There is a tiredness that comes from feeling so much;
Every grain of salt living in the ocean's mist,
The wind ruffling the feathers of a sea gull in flight,
The shadows that hide in the minuscule crow's feet of my eyes.
 
I feel an invisible hand on the swell of my left breast,
seeking to find my faintly beating heart.
Its weight so light, it feels as if it will crush me--invisibility does that.
You would think its burden to be feathery, not overwhelming.
 
There are moments when words fail a poet,
when paint and canvas do not motivate an artist,
times when music falls on deaf ears, the magic lost.
I cannot for the life of me find beauty in my surroundings.
 
The subtle shades of summer fade into autumn fire.
I feel its death in the air through the slight shift in temperature.
October is here with its colorful floor show,
the spotlight on fire and gold with frosty coatings--beauty sublime.
 
October and its chilly hand fingers my soul, heavy stone of autumn.
I will lie underneath a maple tree, letting the leaves cover me
until I am a new hue of autumn, vibrant in ruby and maize.
Maybe if i become an extension of its beauty, I'll feel this tiredness leave me.
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Sometimes I am overwhelmed with my life. Oh most can't tell. I somehow maintain a smile and a laugh. My hair and makeup crisply fresh and masking my inner strife.
Mainly this happens in October. So looms another birthday, the almost end of the year and a reminder that I haven't done all I wanted to do this year. I feel as if I am in a beautiful enclosed garden with grapevines and flowers...stone benches that encourage me to sit around and enjoy the beauty of my world. But instead of doing that, all I can focus on is a bird flying overhead, so free...and I long to take flight.
 
Boy am I rambling today or what. But last night I felt the pressure of hopelessness crush me and did the only thing a poet can do...that is write it out. Today I feel much better. I am wearing my true face, not the one I hide behind when I am in turmoil. I think that's a good thing...being able to relax and maybe finding some joy in the day in whatever form it arrives in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home