A Sip of Sherrie

A taste of Me.. Poetry, stories and reflections of a Southern Belle. :)

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Winter's Cold

Winter's cold freezes me.
I cannot grasp a hint of warmth
within passing clouds.
 
Along the Lumber River,
on fallen tree limbs, I spy
spiky ice bracelets.
 
Yet the gray of the sky
doesn't reflect on the black
surface of the river.
 
I am the blue heron,
wading through frigid water
searching for food.
 
In the dark bowels of the river,
I wonder if I'll find the secrets
of winter's cold.
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I saw a blue heron at the edge of the Lumber River as I drove over the bridge into town this morning. Ice clings to the bark of the trees submerged in the water. The heron didn't seem to mind the cold and for a moment, I was envious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home