A Sip of Sherrie

A taste of Me.. Poetry, stories and reflections of a Southern Belle. :)

Monday, March 20, 2006

Passion...the Food that Sates!





Your Love Style is Eros









For you, love is all about the passion!

And chances are, you're currently in love.

You have a strong physical response to love...

And you are great at committing

(As long as the person makes your toes curl!)





There I was...goofing off in the quiz thingie...and came across this quiz! I wasn't surprised by the results. I believe that passion and relationships go hand-in-hand. In my opinion, passion is what separates a relationship from platonic friendship. I know that there are a lot of people out there who disagree with me...that it's possible to be in a relationship without sexual fireworks...and that's their perogative.

I've had relationships that have sizzled into nothing but a friendship and at first I didn't mind. It was better than being alone and the comfort level was there. I didn't have to chance the 'dating' scene and end up alone or worse...lonely. When I found the courage to break free or worse, was forced to break free, it hurt. Mainly because of the time invested...I felt as if I had wasted it. Each time I was forced to be alone, I discovered something new about myself. I grew spiritually and began to find my footing in the world of single life.

When I first met Allen in March of 95, there was instant chemistry... I knew as soon as I saw him, that he was going to be my next lover. For several weeks, we danced around each other until the night came when I wanted to dance and couldn't find a soul who wanted to dance as well... there he was. I held my hand out and asked, "Care to dance?" We smoked the floor with intensity. I knew exactly how he was going to turn me. Instinct? Maybe...but I think it was more than that...I think it was electrical. One of my friends told me later, "Sherrie, when you danced with that guy, I felt that we (those who were watching) were witnessing a private moment. That the floor should have open and swallowed us up. There was fire. I've never seen anything like it."

Neither have I...not even in the movies. Things don't always work out, even if there is passion. And sometimes, in spite of the passion, you have to end a relationship. That's what happened with Al and I. Since we've gotten back together, I have vowed to leave the past ...there...in the past and to move forward... so far it's working.

But getting back to my 'theme'... after Al, I spent some time in various relationships. Most were short-lived. Of those only 3 were passion-themed. The fuse was short, though. Like a candle flickering out. And a few weren't passionized. They were based mainly on friendship... with a bit of playfulness thrown in. I spent almost 3 years in one, where there was no sex during the last year and a half of it. Even before then though, there was little physical contact, other than a brush of lips during the good night kiss.. We saw each other once during the weekend and only talked a few times during the week. After the sex died, I would say to friends "I should break up with X." And their reply was "No, he takes you places. He gets you out of the house...and so on."

But eventually, he found someone who he wanted to pursue romantically. I wasn't upset over that... in fact, I thought he should go for it. Like everyone else, he deserved to find passion. I know we didn't have it.

And I found it again...with Allen. As soon as he walked through my door, after all these years...again the instant chemistry sprang forth and I can honestly say that it burned as bright as the first time we saw each other...more than 10 years ago. Every moment we spend together, I believe it fuels the passion. There are mere moments when we glance at each other from across a room, and I can feel the burn of our eyes touching skin. Sometimes, the passion is so strong, tears well up inside me and I feel my soul crying...not from sorrow but from happiness.

This is how it should be.

Someone pointed out to me recently that it's ok if someone wants to cut themselves off from passion--to bury themselves in their work or a hobby. But is it fair to the other person in that relationship? Don't they deserve passion? Deserve finding a person who can be more than a friend? Someone who wants the total package..sex, love and fireworks?

I have a real life friend who has been involved with someone since 2000. They have a child together. She doesn't want intimacy from him anymore...yet she gets jealous if some other woman shows interest. She doesn't want him, yet she doesn't want any other woman to have him either. That's cheating him out of passion...just like she's cheating herself...I tell her, "Bon, you'll find a man who sets you on fire one day. A mutual fire. Don't give up."

Her reply is, "No I won't. I'll never feel desire again."

I think that's a shame. I guess if you've never known true passion...if you've never felt the burn on skin on yours, the taste of lips that whisper your name urgently...the exchange of eyes from across a crowded room that say intimate things which would make a nun blush...the quietness of sated souls, working together in harmony with no need to talk because in the silence hearts are touching... I guess if you've never had these before, you can't miss them.

Personally, I would rather spend my time alone than be in a lukewarm relationship--neither hot or cold.

Yes... I want Passion... I want to feel desire and I know I'll never settle for less.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home