A Sip of Sherrie

A taste of Me.. Poetry, stories and reflections of a Southern Belle. :)

Friday, October 15, 2004

Avon Calling



My Grandmother Genevia sold Avon for almost 30 years. She believed in it. She was a door-to-door saleswoman until 1988, when she had a heart attack. After that, she didn't sell it. And when she died horribly from an auto wreck in 1995, her living room was covered in boxes of Avon. There were 63 boxes stacked taller than me. It was my duty to go through them. ( I still haven't gone through about 10 boxes) I found all kinds of stuff....awards dating back to 1968, makeup-perfume-novelties dating back to 1965. A mother load of Avon.

But what to do with it! I knew some of it was valuable. But how much was some of this stuff worth??? So I naturally turned to my Avon Lady. She didn't know. She called her superior, who didn't know. I called the local headquarters. They didn't know. I called the 800 number on the brochure. They gave me a number to call. Then that number gave me another number to call...and so on. I spent a month trying to find out where I could get information on vintage Avon.

Then luck struck in the form of a receptionist whom I was re-directed to on one of my Avon calling excursions. She knew of a Collector's Book and also of a collector's mailing list. Gave the the info and I almost wept. She was by far the kindest person I had dealt with. I called our local bookstore and they ordered it for me.

The makeup and perfume had no shelf life according to the info I gathered. Most of it was dated in the late 70's to mid 80's. The collectable stuff was mainly the bottles, plates and things like that. Luck was with me...Downtown Lumberton has a yard sale every Memorial and Labor Day Monday. People rent spaces for a small price and sell their junk. I sold the old makeup, soap, lotion, perfume (not the collectable decanters) and other stuff. Man, I made a mint! I outplayed, outwitted and outsolded everyone! Vendors were coming to me to get change for $20's and $100's. I was proclaimed Queen of the Yard Sale and afterwards a parade was given in my honor. (ok...being dramatic lol).

It took me a few months to sort through the boxes of collectables and put them in categories. 99% of the jewelry wasn't collectable, so I made a sign for the window that read 'Vintage Avon...Inquire within." A customer gave me a jewelry case type counter with a class top and class sides. I put the jewelry in there and locked the case. In fact I still have jewelry in it. Though its getting to the last nitty gritty.

Then out of the blue Juanita, the local head of Avon dropped in. This was in 96, a year after Grandma had died. My friend Dale was helping us still. She and Dad were working on putting together a wedding album. I was upstairs spraying photos. When I came down I could see Juanita in the mirror at the front from where I stood at my back counter. (She used to be my avon lady before she was promoted. I never cared for her because she was pushy.)

Dad said, "We can't sell Avon. We're not licensed. And we'll get sued."

"What?" I frowned. Then Juanita piped in.

"If you pay $20 you will be a licensed Avon lady and can sell your old Avon." (She had been after me for years to start selling.)

"That's crazy. This stuff is paid for already and its old." Dad had taken down the sign and gave it to me. I stood staring at both of them. Dale was working on the couch.

I walked to the back. My mind roaring and I could hear Juanita talking about how much trouble she could get us into, etc. I blew. I totally blew up! I marched up to the front and interrupted her and Dad's conversation. (My words below may not be word for word but they are close).

"Let me tell you something, Juanita. My Grandmother sold Avon for almost 30 yrs. She loved Avon, she lived Avon...she breathed it. She bought boxes of the stuff. Invested a lot of her money into it and sold from her own supply. When she died we found 63 boxes in her living room...63. I am the one who's been dealing with what to do about them.

I called Betty (my avon lady). I called you and I called the number for the office in New York. NONE of you helped me. None of you tried to find out what I should do with it. I spent a whole month trying to find out what the value on some of this stuff is. A receptionist advised me, after lord knows how many calls. A receptionist!"

Now you're telling me I can't sell the Avon that's already paid for. This isn't new Avon. It's vintage. Me selling it here is no different that selling it at a yard sale or flea market. I'm not going to pay you to sell it. I'll call every one of those stupid numbers again before I do that. I'll give the stuff away before I become a saleswoman so I can sell Avon that's already been paid for--Avon that's out-of-date."

During my tirade, Dad's mouth fell open. He stepped back from me. Juanita sat there, staring and working her jaws as if she were holding back a few things. And Dale froze over her work, eyes wide open. Because I never get angry. I always handle situations with calmness, sweetness and a smile. To Dad and Dale...I was suddenly a stranger. Like my usual bursts of anger, it was over fast and I turned away before Juanita could say anything, went back to my work. I couldn't hear her and Dad talking but I could tell by his voice he was agreeing with her. That he was telling her to not mind me--I was still distraught over my Grandmother's death. (I was but that wasn't the reason I was angry).

When she left, Dale came back to see if I was ok. I was planning my counter-attack. So I called Betty to find out who was over Juanita. She said she would call the lady and...low and behold the lady called me. Juanita was WRONG. I didn't need to become a salesperson to sell vintage Avon. Juanita never came by again. Nor did she call to apolgize.

There is a purpose to this story...I'm slowly getting there. My Grandmother believed in Avon. I grew up on its perfume, its jewelry and as an adult I still use some of it. Recently I found out that the Perfect Wear Eyeliner is discontinued. I've never known Avon to discontinue an item and not replace it with a better product.

So I wrote a letter, asking why they discontinued it and if it would be re-issued. (My Avon lady didn't know--ha, not surprising). I was told in a reply to my email that the Perfect Wear line was not being made and that there were none in stock and no plans to make more. I wrote back and asked what product line was replacing it. According to them, there is none.

I've spent 10 years wearing this eyeliner. I've tried at least 6 other brands and none last as long, none do not smear on my eyelid and below my eye--Only Perfect Wear. It stays on, lasts long and never irritates my eyes. And Avon has killed it. So I wrote back, mourning and explaining this to Avon. They sent me a short reply saying they were sorry I was unhappy but there was no more Perfect Wear and never will be.

Well, they lost a customer! Maybe I'm a small fish to lose. I do know this--I don't believe in Avon anymore. I'm still holding a grudge from their aloofness in 1996. I'm angry that I have to waste time and money finding a product that is to replace a product that no one in 10 years has ever succeeded in doing. I should send a bill to Avon, once my search is over. Hell, I just may do that.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:33 PM, Blogger Bob said…

    Both my mother and grandmother sold Avon for years and years, and they always had stuff collected... they used to give a lot of the keepsake-y type things away as gifts, special boxed sets and things like that... I still have a few of the candle holders they had, most of the other stuff I gave or threw away when they both passed away... nice tirade tho, it's amazing just to read it, I can only imagine what it would have been like to be there and hear you go off, hehe.

     
  • At 3:49 PM, Blogger Peanut Road said…

    I think I'd want you on my side in a negotiation, kid! Like to be my manager? I'll give you 30...er, 20%!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home