A Sip of Sherrie

A taste of Me.. Poetry, stories and reflections of a Southern Belle. :)

Friday, October 15, 2004

The Fortune Cookie Rule

 
After dance last night, my brother and I went to our favorite Chinese restaurant. Delicious as always. When the fortune cookies arrived, I was finishing up a bowl of Hot and Sour soup. My brother reaches for the cookie closest to him, then puts it back and grabs the other, exclaiming "Hey, this one has two cookies in it."
 
I protested, "Hey! You can't do that. You're suppose to take the first one you touch. Don't go fondling the cookies. Jeez!"
 
"I didn't know there were fortune cookie rules. So I broke one. Big Deal. But this one has two in it. I've never seen one with two."
 
"Well, its my rule. You imprint your essence on the cookie when you touch it."
 
 He snorted out, "Yeah right!"
 
So I grabbed his cookie and opened it. "Let me read what YOUR fortune says."
 
It was: "The hard times will begin to fade, joy will take their place."
 
I laughed, "See the Redskins will do better. Or ...the Yankees will win and you will win your bet."
 
"Yeah Right! You kill me, Sher Bear. You can apply that to yourself too, you know."
 
"What does my fortune say?"  I asked, leaning forward trying to read it in his hand.
 
He laughed, "Hey I think this really is your reading." Then he read it. "It is up to you to create your own adventures today!"
 
"See...you have my fortune cookie. I'm off on an adventure this weekend."
 
"Then whose cookie is this one." He pointed to the second one in the wrapper.
 
"Hmm..." I looked at his crutches leaning against the table. "Your crutches."
 
He snorted a short laugh. "I knew you were going to say that." He pulled the fortune out of the cookie and started laughing. He tried to read it but couldn't so I took it from him.
 
"He who climbs a ladder must begin at the first step."
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home