A Sip of Sherrie

A taste of Me.. Poetry, stories and reflections of a Southern Belle. :)

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Hat Day

Dad dared me to do something today. We actually had a good laugh over it. He was sitting at the front, watching people park their cars--which can be entertaining because downtown Lumberton has parallel parking. Three elderly ladies got out of a car. All had on straw hats. Two of the hats looked great. But the other one...she had on a gold and rust dress with a magenta straw hat. It was ghastly.

Dad said, "Sherrie, put on one of your hats and walk down the street with them."

I laughed and said, "Ok."

He looked surprised, "You're gonna do it??"

As an answer, I grabbed a black bowler type felt hat with a huge yellow sunflower on it. Walked outside and mingled with them. They were looking at the pictures in our window. Then we strolled down the street. One kept looking at me, as if I were strange. I think it was my outfit. I have on a brightly colored tie-dye shirt of yellow, orange, red, blue and purple with mesh nylon pants--black with a white pin stripe and black loafer type moccassins on. I definitely looked like a hippy. Groovy Baby! I walked with them into the men's store right beside us and I wish you could have seen Wes's (the son of the owners) face. It was priceless. I turned around and came back to the studio. Dad was howling with laughter.

When the ladies drove off, I put on the hat and went next-door. I asked Wes which of us won the best hat contest.

He said, "You did."

"But what about the magenta hat? Didn't she look prettier."

"The pink hat was cool. But you still win the best hat contest. The yellow flower gives you an edge."

I smiled. "Don't you mean my tie-dye shirt?"

He grinned, "Yeah, I do."

So it's official folks, I won the Best Hat Award on Hat Day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home