A Sip of Sherrie

A taste of Me.. Poetry, stories and reflections of a Southern Belle. :)

Monday, May 17, 2004

My Brother, John



My brother John had an ophthalmology appointment this morning at 11:45. He has glaucoma. It's ironic, how for years our ophthalmologist thought for sure I was going to develop glaucoma. But so far I haven't. Though I do have ocular hypertension (high pressure in my eyes).

After his appointment, we stopped for lunch at Jimmy's Seafood Restaurant. It was yum-icious!

Most of you know that my brother was born with cerebral palsy. It effects his motor skills but not his mind. He's always walked on crutches. It's all he knows. So... after the meal, I gave him his crutches and walked to the register. Once there I realized that I had left the check on the table and called to John to bring it to me.

As he was weaving through the tables, the girl at the register said, "He has a hard life."

I looked around to see who she was talking about. But there wasn't anyone around but me, so pointing to John, I asked, "Are you talking about him?"

She replied, looking at him with pity, "Yes, poor man. We don't realize how good we've got things."

I almost let it drop but knew that I couldn't. "Don't feel sorry for him. He's 38 and has cerebral palsy. He was born that way, in other words. He's always used crutches."

We both watched John step aside so an elderly lady on a walker could get by him. I smiled at the girl. "He's not handicapped. How can he mourn something he's never lost?"

About that time, John came up with the check and apologized for taking so long. The girl smiled at him. I thought to myself how she'll look differently at those who were born different. Maybe, she'll no longer have pity. My hopes is that she'll look at them with admiration, like she did John today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home