A Sip of Sherrie

A taste of Me.. Poetry, stories and reflections of a Southern Belle. :)

Friday, August 20, 2004

TGIF

Don't know why I'm thanking G-d its Friday when I got to be here tomorrow!

I had the strangest experience Monday which set the week on a rocky coarse. And the strange thing about it is that I tried to post the incident three times on different days and I would get a 'cannot find webpage' error sign. When I back flipped, the compose box would be empty and gray.

After work, I stopped at a small Grocery store for lettuce, Ranch dressing, pineapple bits, milk and bread...though I forgot the bread. I had procured the first two items and was on the canned fruit aisle, doing a mental debate on the differences between pineapple bits and pineapple chunks, when a lady said, "I'm following you."

Was she? I looked at her and remembered seeing her in the produce department and the condiment aisle. I smiled and stepped back for her to get some crushed pineapple.

She walked two steps and turned, "Are you Sherrie Parnell?"

I said, "Yes" and realized she was a girl who was two years younger than I in High School. Her sister and mine were best friends and she would come over with her sister sometimes and worry the shit out of me.

"Well hi Suzanne. How' s life?"

"Fine and you?"

"Great. Couldn't be better. Life is good. Nice seeing you." I dismissed her and went back to my mental debate over pineapple.

She took two steps, then turned and asked, "Did you ever get married?"

HUH? I stood staring, "No, But I was engaged a few times." Well, I was and to me that shows I can commit to long term.

Then she said the shocker that shocked me into a state of shock. (get the image?)
In the type of voice someone would say if they heard you had terminal cancer and was given two days to live, she said, "Well, don' t give up. It could happen." A well timed pause. "Eventually."

WTF??? WTF???Whatthef&ck!

I protested, "But I'm happy."

She gave me a poor pitiful you look.

Then I added, "I'm too old and set in my ways to get married now."

She tsked tsked me! And walked away.

Was I mad at her? Yes for a moment. Then I remembered all she ever wanted was a husband and a house full of children. Her big dreams were of PTA, being a soccer Mom and teaching Sunday School. She excelled in Home Ec and was a leader of the F.H.A (Future Homemakers of America). Never once did she want college or a career. So she judged me on what was important to her---marriage and family.

If I had asked her what she did for a living, her answer would have been "A stay-at Home MOM." I would have thought, what a pity. I'm a professional artist--the only one in my county who does restoration/retouching on the premises of a photography studio. So I don't blame her for thinking that my life was a waste. I think hers could be richer with education.

What angered me was the way I defended myself! I let her attitude push me into defending my chosen path. I made decisions that aren't reversible and I don't regret them. Her attitude is the kind that I've met before but mostly from 80 yr-old-women! Not from a woman who's not yet 40!

Now for the comebacks I didn't think of until days later:

"Married? Me? Hell no, I don't think I can stand settling for one dick for the rest of my life."

"Murdered? Oh, you said married..."

"No, so how many times have you been divorced?"

...yea.. that's the way it goes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home