A Sip of Sherrie

A taste of Me.. Poetry, stories and reflections of a Southern Belle. :)

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

It was bound to happen sooner or later...I ran into a few of the old crowd yesterday as I walked to my truck after work. Al's friends! Doug, Steve, Rusty and Mike...though Mike never really hung out with us. He used to show up at Peckers (the old watering hole) and have a beer and go home before 10 pm.

They were going to have a few beers at the new B W Grille. The parking lot where I park my truck faces it. I was walking down the sidewalk, humming a tune ("she talks to angels" by the Black Crowes), when I heard someone shout, "There's Sher-Bare."

It was Steve, the only shouter in the bunch. The others would have stopped and waited until I got closer to catch my attention. Not Steve--he's a NYC Tough guy who used to trade 'fight' stories with Al. He's a good guy though. Of all Al's friends (excluding Mike), he's the only one who never trashed Al to me after we broke up.

Steve ran to greet me. Gave me a big bear hug, told me I was still beautiful (I think I could wear burlap and have rags tied in my hair and he would still say that) and asked if I wanted to go in with them for a drink.

To be honest, if I hadn't of been tired and ready to get home I might have went in. But then again, I would have had to of put up with Doug or Rusty hitting on me. And I wasn't in the mood to think of witty retorts. About a year after I broke up with Al, I was somewhere and they were there. Both guys kept telling me I should go out with them. That they would be better for me than Al... when that was said by one of them... I think Doug, I snorted. It was uncontrollable. And with that declaration, I realized that few truths were due.

From 1994 until 2000, I had witnessed both guys treat girls much nicer than me like dirt. I watched them call from Peckers and make up some excuse as to why they wouldn't be home until midnight. I watched them leave with girls and then hurry home to their 'sweethearts.' Heard their private intimate deals that no real gentleman gives away and most importantly I knew their views on women and how women should be treated. So I let it be known what I thought of their policies on the fairer sex and blasted them for being self-centered pigs.

Which...made them want me more for a while.

Over the years now, I've lost interest in hanging out with them. Now, I'll confess that I've had fun playing pool with them or watching some sporting event. But as for hanging out and unwinding...no thanks. I can do that at home with a good book or a session of belly dancing.

So when Steve and I got over to where the guys were waiting, I said my hellos and gave out hugs. Ignored the way D and R looked me over. Made small talk until a silence fell..then I bide them adieu. As I was walking away, Mike said "I'm guessing you aren't interested in having a drink with a guy who's parents white-washed him a few years ago."

I stopped and had to laugh... Rusty, Doug and Steve had walked away. Mike was referring to a comment I made a few years ago when I still went to Peckers (which is now called Scooby's).

He was talking to Rusty about something. I stood close by watching the NBA playoffs. Can't remember exactly what year it was or even who was playing. He was telling Rusty that he was a born a poor black man and wasn't educated ... (Mike has light brown hair, blue eyes and is paler than I am). I realized he was stealing Steve Martin's line from The Jerk.

I interrupted, "Too bad they didn't whitewash you when you were five so you could have gotten an education..."

Poor Mike wasn't used to my humor and stared at me for a moment. Rusty said, "Don't mind Sherrie...she makes jokes like that all the time."

I saluted him with my beer and walked off.

And now... here he was subltly asking me to join him in a drink. My answer...

"Sorry Mike, I need to get home. Maybe another time when the Zoo Crew isn't around."

He surprised me by saying..."I tried to whitewash them once."

I smiled, "Mike, even under the most pleasant facades a person's real colors shine through. And their facade isn't pleasant."

With that comment, I smiled and did "See-ya Pal" wave from the little Rascals movie. As I drove away, I caught a glimpse of Mike walking into the restaurant. I didn't regret the declination of his offer. A minute later I was mentally going through my supper menu choices, as I drove home, jamming out with the Black Crowes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home