A Sip of Sherrie

A taste of Me.. Poetry, stories and reflections of a Southern Belle. :)

Friday, October 22, 2004

Novel Ideals

What amazes me about my muse is when she strikes! Tuesday night, I went through my junk drawer in my bedstead table and found a folder of 'ideas.' I had a few outlined plots drawn up but none really hit me. 
 
If you've read in my Penned in Pink blog, you'll find first lines of stories I say I'll never write. In that group is one line that has stayed with me ever since I read it. Its the one about the old lady and the snail--and how the snail would win a race.
 
That my friends is the opening of my novel. Who is this woman? Where was she going? With the snail in the picture, we know the story has to be in late spring or the summer. Obviously she's old and has some form of old age illness or condition that makes her creep along. Arthritis? A hip injury?
 
In my mind I see a frail blue-haired lady in a powder blue house dress with a white cardigan, because she's cold year round. She's walking with a cane, stooped over from osteoporosis. Her feet are shod in black orthopedic shoes with laces. She's wearing thick support stockings that hide veined legs.
 
But who is this woman? Is she married? Widowed? A spinster? I'm thinking a widow with no kids. Stern and determined not to let old age keep her from her daily walk. She's a sticker for routine and doesn't like the teenagers of today. Maybe because they tease her when they skateboard past her on the street.
 
Is she a predominate character? I don't think so... I think she's an opening act...that will make guest appearances.
 
So now I have the opening image to write, when the time comes... the first part of my plot.
 
Now.. I was chatting with Sara and she asked what did I plan to write about. I told her I wasn't sure...maybe a love story or a thriller or a murder/mystery with a supernatural twist... she suggested I put all in the story.
 
This morning as I showered, I let my mind wander over different things and it settled on the old lady's walk... what if she stumbles over something... maybe some of those nasty teenagers on their loud skateboards causes her to stumble off the sidewalk into a yard... a house that is vacant but not rundown.. and there in a bush is a leg... just a leg... I don't see a body--only a leg.. a man's leg with a blue tennis shoe and red sock.
 
While I shampooed my hair, an argument between me and mom came to mind. It was a silly one about my cupboard and her itemized list of the contents... don't ask.. long story...and I thought of a mom and teenage daughter... arguing and how they might live across the street from the vacant house and get involved in the mystery of the leg.
 
Will they be based on my mom and I? No... I think the mom will be one of those throw backs from the 70's...much like I am. And the daughter will be a straight forward type who says, "Oh MOM!!" an awful lot.
 
I'm sure their personalities will emerge as I work today. lol
 

1 Comments:

  • At 9:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Coolio... It sounds like you've got quite a head start on the project. Good luck!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home