A Sip of Sherrie

A taste of Me.. Poetry, stories and reflections of a Southern Belle. :)

Monday, October 18, 2004

unity?

There's a big debate locally that's been going on for as long as I can remember...its about unity of the races in Robeson County. We're divided almost evenly among blacks, whites, Lumbee Indians and now Mexicans. I'm sure its like this in other places too. I'm sad to say that there is a lot of racism in our area.
 
A while ago, I went for coffee at the bakery. About 3 stores down from it is the DMV-License Plate Agency. A little old Indian lady fell right in front of the door. I was at the door of the bakery and heard her cry out. As I ran over to her, I heard car doors open and slam shut, and feet hitting the pavement. There were at least ten others coming to her aid besides me. Even the guy working on the fire hyrant across the street came running. It was an Indian guy and a black lady who helped her up. I brushed the dirt off her skirt as another white lady helped the black lady look for signs of injury. I stepped back and watched as she was helped inside the LPA to sit on a bench and regain her composure. All around me were people of all races asking, "Is she all right? Did she get hurt? Should we call an ambulance?" 
 
Since the situation was under control, I went back to my task of getting coffee. You know, it struck me that I had witnessed a poignant moment--we can unify the races when it really matters. It all comes down to what kind of person you are.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:39 PM, Blogger Bob said…

    Good story and good point... and something I've seen myself a few times... it can happen when humanity and instinct take over, instead of old thought processes coming to the front... everyone reacted to someone in trouble, no one thought of race, that got pushed aside... and that is how it should be.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home