A Sip of Sherrie

A taste of Me.. Poetry, stories and reflections of a Southern Belle. :)

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Perfect Companion

My fair-weather friend called this morning, while I was getting ready for work. Good ole Bon! Ever since I found out I couldn't depend on her to be there for me, I've pretty much not encouraged her to keep close contact. And if I'm not in the mood to talk, I cut the conversation immediately.

But this morning I had some time to spare and thought I would see what was up. She hemmed around her real reason for calling, opting for feeling me out first. I let her make small talk, until she felt that I wasn't going to cut her off before she got to her real reason for calling.

Naturally it was about her guy. She complained about the things he doesn't do. Though the things he does are really wonderful things...she still finds fault with him. What kills me is that she "pities" me for not settling down. How ironic I think. Because I am settled. She's restless one.

What slaughtered my semi-serious facade during our conversation was when she said that she wished her honey pie was more like Kevin K. At first, I was totally confused. The name sounded familiar but I couldn't connect it to one of the 2 great loves that she usually compared her guy to. So I gave in and asked who Kevin K. was... and then proceeded to laugh at her answer--which was... Kevin K, the guy in our 10th grade English class that used to write poems to her.

THAT KEVIN K???? Her memory sure isn't stable. Though she disagrees, mine is correct, those weren't poems he wrote--they were more like dirty rhymes. And there was nothing poetic about them...and... he said them to all the girls, not just her. Now why she's romanticizing him I have no idea but I've learned from the past that you can't always understand the theories behind her reasoning.

After a mild round of I'm right-you're wrong, I finally asked her why didn't she accept the guy as he was. Because at 41, he wasn't going to change much. She answered with a question, "Why can't he figure out what I need him to be?"

Like I said, you can't always understand her thinking. Bon and her quest of making her man the perfect companion! Her next request sent me into an excuse to hang up... that I should put myself in her place!! How the hell can I do that when I can't understand where she's coming from???


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home