A Sip of Sherrie

A taste of Me.. Poetry, stories and reflections of a Southern Belle. :)

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Drive to Work

A cape of pines on the horizon made me feel covered in viridian green.  I drove down the road, trying to imagine the lining under the pines. Was it cotton straw or satin green? Above the pines were furry clouds, edged in ghost gray.

 

slow drive

down a country road

picturesque visions

 

I was in no hurry to get to where I needed to be. For a moment, I decided to take time to watch the scenery that made me feel as if I were standing still, as it rushed by. How did I manage to remember the small pleasure of a non-worried mind?

 

days drown

in bitter rushing

of worries

 

On a wire above a ditch sat a kingfisher.  His silvery blue feathered head cocked and alert. No escape for some unlucky insect, fish or frog. My grandfather once told me that kingfishers were water spirits. I nodded as I passed him, thinking how noble he looked on the wire, a king surveying his kingdom.

 

on a wire

waiting for dinner

kingfisher

 

Too soon my journey ended. As I walked the block to work, I felt a sprinkling of cool rain. A moment before I let the worries of a workingwoman embrace me, I smiled a thank you to the water spirit for his blessing.

 

sweetly purifying

summer rain soothes

my tired heart

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home