A Sip of Sherrie

A taste of Me.. Poetry, stories and reflections of a Southern Belle. :)

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Birthday Boy

Today was my baby brother's birthday--he's now 39!
I told him he makes me feel old.
We had plans for Mexican tonight at San Jose, but Granny came into town and we changed the restaurant destination to Ruby Tuesday. Granny calls it Red Ruby.

Nice dinner. Lots of Laughter.
My brother John asked Granny if she wanted a Martini. She politely declined, as any full-blooded true blue Southern Baptist would. But it was funny because he was casual about it.
I know.. You had to be there.

Granny wasn't hungry and had a time of picking out an item from the menu. She finally settled on a grilled chicken sandwich. We gossiped until the food arrived. Granny actually ate as she talked which usually doesn't happen. She's prone to long bouts of jabber with little nibbles between breaths. My brother and I finished our meals before she did. Sometime towards the last quarter of chicken sandwich, she turned to me and said:

"I don't know if you remember this or if you were even born, but remember when I went to Washington when your Granddaddy Newitt was there? I worked as a waitress at the diner of a five and dime store."

I didn't say anything, because she's was talking about the WWII era when Granddaddy was stationed in Washington DC. And I was doing all I could to keep a straight face. But my brother piped up in a voice that had a laugh, "Oh I'm sure she remembers, Grandma."

Granny kept talking and didn't realize how crazy that sounded. I wouldn't look at John because I knew if I did I would die of laughter. How can a Granddaughter be born before her mother???? lol ...

As we were leaving the "Red Ruby", John told Granny that he was glad she wasn't hungry or we would have been broke after dinner. (Granny was the only one to clean her plate).

It was fun--dinner. Granny's 79 and I can see that she's getting smaller and thinner. She complained that the glasses at Ruby Tuesday were too heavy. I'm thankful for every visit, even if she drives us crazy after a few days.

So... here's to my Brother...Happy Birthday

and here's too Granny... "Yes I remember..."

Cheers and I hope that next year, we can do this again.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home