A Sip of Sherrie

A taste of Me.. Poetry, stories and reflections of a Southern Belle. :)

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Lumberton's Historic Downtown

When I went for coffee earlier, I saw the men's store owner next door to us, WC Washington. He was outside his store, talking to the Mayor who had just ordered a new suit or something. Anyway, I spoke to both of them (skipped my usual peace sign greeting lol) and asked if they wanted some coffee.  They both declined. Then WC said, "Shherrrieee (he tends to draw out my name), tell the Mayor what you say about downtown?"
 
 My main grip is the churches that are moving into the old buildings instead of businesses that will help generate revenue. There are like 5 or 6 now !!!! When the first one moved in next door to me, I said it was a mistake...that we'll be battling about them at the town meetings in a few years.
 
 Mayor Pennington can be intimidating. He used to be a Professor at UNC-P when I was going there during my freshmen year. I took a deep breath, as I blushed and said:
 
"We're a ghost down during the weekday and a Holy Ghost town on Sundays."
 
Both men laughed but I am dead serious when I say it, even if it is a funny statement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home